Wednesday, January 21, 2015

(Keto) Friendly Lasagna With "Noodles" 3 Ways.


Hey guys! 

So I have seen keto friendly lasagna's out there using zucchini noodles, I've seen them using Salami (which I will have to try).

But what I hadn't seen was Pork Rinds being used. I knew in my mind I wanted to figure out a way to do it. Why? I figured the Pork Rinds could absorb some of the moisture that the Zucchini cannot. So I decided to combine them in the layers. Then I thought; There needs to be Bacon.

So this is a Keto Lasagna with layers of Zucchini, Ground Pork Rinds, topped with a layer of Bacon.

Lessons learned while making this recipe:
1) Maybe next time don't grind the pork rinds, just throw a layer in there
2) Pre-cook the bacon... unless you like chewy bacon.

Tools you will need:

If you are going to grind and process anything; I LOVE this food processor:

If not, then for the Zucchini noodles you will need a Mandolin. 

Of course, a good baking pan.. I like these simple to use and multi-versatile pans (keep it cheep!)

At the end of this recipe I broke down the servings in 1/6ths or 1/8ths. I ended up eating 1/8th; but it was good and I almost went to make it 6!

So Ingredients:
Spinach ( a 10 oz packet)
Ricotta (I used a whole tin of it)
Beef ( I used 3lbs)
Cheese of choice (I chose a Provolone/Mozzarella Hybrid with no carbs.. and I used 2 packets 22 slices)
Sauce ( I found this sauce and it has 3 net carbs per serving.) Or you can make your own of course! ( Of this can I used 2 cans)
Pork Rinds (optional)
Zucchini ( I used 3 zucchini in this recipe)

First thing I did was get the Spinach boiling. While that was working...

Get the zucchini sliced up. I used the "3" setting and was super happy with the thickness and clean ness of the slices. I did sprinkle these with NoSalt and some Italian Herbs

Sprayed the bottom of the pan with non stick spray and did a layer of Zucchini!

\
After about 3 minutes of boiling, drain the Spinach and then I hand squeezed, but you do whatever you gotta do to get the water out.

Mix in that Ricotta cheese. I used 1.75 cups

Beautiful Ricotta/Spinach filling!

Brown the meat! I did add some more NoSalt and Italian Herbs during the browning process; just for that added Umph.

Browned Beef for those who don't know what it looks like! After browning, make sure to drain the beef (or don't if you want it super soupy and wet I guess lol)
I did use 70/30 beef, because I like the fats!

Added the 2 cans of sauce. Of course, the 2 cans are meant for half the beef; but I don't need a lot of sauce personally. Feel free to add more in your recipe or use less beef for sure!

Beautiful.

Now let's begin Layering. I placed half the beef mixture straight on top of the noodles

What I forgot to take a picture of: Placed a layer of cheese on the beef mixture; then the layer of ground pork rinds, then the other half of the Zucchini.

On top of the zucchini, the entire spinach/ricotta mixture

On top of that, the rest of the beef mix!

Final layer of cheese!

And what's better than a layer of Bacon on top? Nothing. Fucking NOTHING! :)

Ok Set the oven to 375. I baked 25 minutes covered in Aluminum foil and 25 minutes uncovered. Here's the result.

I then let it sit for 15 minutes to rest.

After I cut 1/8th out here's an interior look at this lovely dish.

It fell apart all over the place. Good. It was fucking delicious. Not as beautiful of a piece as I'd have liked. But delicious none the less.
\
Here's a good picture of another serving the next night for dinner! Once it settled in it held form really well! So delish :)


Enjoy!

Now for the nutritional information!
Here is the Total recipe 



1/6th of the recipe; which is still a good serving especially if you are like me and Intermittant Fast all day, and have plenty of calories left over.

Lastly what I actually ate: 1/8th of the lasagna (which is still a very solid serving size)

I really had fun trying this out, I didn't mind the chewier bacon. but if you do I implore you to pre-bake the bacon.

I also didn't really dry out the Zucchini. I liked it a little more bendy, it reminded me of my grandma's old lasagna, and the noodles were also really flimsy.

Have fun and let me know if you liked it!

-Freeze









No comments:

Post a Comment