Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mental Health Update!

Hey y'all!

Greetings from snowy NC, well snowy and icy NC. Things got nasty here late yesterday afternoon and much like the rest of the Eastern seaboard, our entire state shutdown. This meme basically sums up North Carolina and snow:

Image found via Google Images

Moving on! I'm putting in an update on the mental health front since I saw my therapist on last Tuesday (the 10th). I told her about my start on the Ketogenic diet and she immediately knew what I was talking about, which made me happy. She asked how I was doing and I told her my depression has never been better, On a 1-10 scale, I'd rate myself a 7 (I'll go into detail more below on why it's not higher). My swings have been very moderate if not non-existent all together. In the morning I'm alert now, I'm more productive. By noon most of my work has been completed and I'm now asking for more responsibility where as previously I was struggling to get my daily tasks done by quitting time. YAY!! We're seeing results finally! I will no longer be a slave to my depression and no one should ever be a slave to their depression EVER! I feel like I owe Freeze so much gratitude and thanks for starting me on this path.Without him I wouldn't have even have known about this diet and what it could possibly do for me.

Image found via Google Images

I have my first rheumatologist appointment in April since starting the diet, so I'll be talking to my doc about the affects of Keto on my arthritis, My mom has Rheumatoid Arthritis and I was tested for RA factor when I was 22 a doctor found the RA factor in me too. So, while I'm not as advanced as my mom is, I still see a rheumatologist twice a year and it happens to be the same doctor she sees. He actually tried to get her to go gluten free last year to see if it would help her pain levels any. She didn't really stick with it, but so far I have seen a dramatic reduction in my pain. I've only had to take pain medication twice and that was when two major cold fronts came through. That brings down my mood level. Pain makes me grumpy and unhappy. Other than those few occasions, I could not be happier with my progress.

Oh and I'm down 8.5 lbs last time I checked, but that was 2 weeks ago. Yay progress!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment