Monday, February 9, 2015

(Keto) Taco Casserole


Taco Casserole. The love of tacos is strong in this one. Sometimes, you just gotta have em. So I found a recipe and adapted it a little bit to fit what I love (which includes Black Olives). The benefit of this recipe is you can really do it however you want. Chicken instead of beef? Have at it!

After having made this recipe, I broke it into 1/4th for a serving; and I realize it's because I should have doubled or tripled the meat so that I could break it into 1/8ths and reduce the carbs even more. But being that I do Intermittant Fasting every day, I can get all of my carbs in one meal (such as this) and be perfectly fine for the rest of the day. So when I make this again I will be at least doubling the beef, if not tripling.

For the "crust base"
8oz of cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
1 tsp of Taco Seasoning  (If you're like me, and love tacos and plan on doing these a lot, here's a perfect big ol seasoning jug!)

Simply beat the cream cheese and eggs together until one solid looking consistency, then add the cream and seasoning, mix some more!

Then I used for the rest
1lb Ground Beef (will use 2 or 2lbs next time)
2tsp Taco Seasoning
1 small can of Green Chilis
1 small can of Black Olives

And for the whole recipe I used a 16oz bag of Mexican Blend cheese.

Go ahead and preheat the oven to 375 and mix your base together.


Here is what the crust base looks liked after a good hand beat and mix. I don't use no electronic mixers, I got the forearms of a Gladiator! (Not really, but whatever! )


 I took half the bag of cheese, or 8oz, and placed it in the pan; after greasing it of course.

Then pour the "crust" mixture into the pan with the cheese and kinda mix it in there. Go ahead and throw this into your 375 oven for 30 minutes. 

While thats baking, brown your beef. Then mix in the taco seasoning, green chilis, and whatever else you want (I used black olives for example)

Here's what your "crust base" looks like. Almost like a delicious cake (but totally not except basically a cheese cake with taco seasoning. )

Throw your beef mixture on top of it like so.

Use the rest of the cheese and just smother it with it.

Drop the over to 350 and bake this uncovered for 20 minutes.

I did add some lettuce, sour cream and salsa on the side; that is an optional addition, really you could add anything you want.

And here is this beautiful, tasty dinner!


Here is the nutrition on the entire thing. You of course, can play with the amount of cheese and other ingredients. If I had done double beef or triple beef I would have broken this down into 8 servings instead of 4.

And here is what a serving looks like, if you did 1/4th of the casserole as a serving. 

I didn't create this crust base, but I wish I had. It was extremely instrumental in the texture, and definitely amazing. Enjoy this as much as I did and keep checking back as Nicole and I keep putting out recipes that we actually try!

-Freeze


No comments:

Post a Comment